A simple and satisfying dal brown or brown lentils recipe. This is easy and does not require much time. In addition, it is suitable for rice or any type of Indian bread. I like to drink a bowl of this kind of pigeon peas at dinner, sprinkled with a little lemon juice. It is also vegan and gluten-free.
Growing up, we used to eat whole lentils, grilled meats, and green vegetables every night. My mother is really particular about giving us healthy meals. She has the skills to make everything delicious without using a lot of oil or spices. She always uses whole lentils and green vegetables when she cooks.
Particularly, the whole masoor ki dal or dal brown is preferable. It is creamy, full of fillings, and very delicious. So, whenever possible, I will try to reproduce these food memories from my childhood. In addition, as a lover of lentils, I try to rotate different types of lentils within 7 days. Let’s start the recipe.
- 1 cup dal brown or brown lentils
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon oil of your choice
- 1 dried red pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 chopped green pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon dried mango powder/lemon juice
- Cup chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 3 cups water
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger
How to Make Dal Brown
- Wash the lentils properly and soak them in plenty of water for 30 minutes.
- Turn on the frying button on the Instant Pot, add oil, add cumin seeds and dried red pepper when it is hot, and let it sizzle.
- Add chopped garlic and ginger, and fry until light brown. It takes 30 seconds.
- Add the chopped onion and fry until it looks transparent.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, and red pepper powder and stir fry for 1 minute. If it feels sticky to the bottom, add 1 tablespoon of water, stir, add tomatoes and fry for 1 minute.
- Add salt, dried mango powder (if using), and Indian curry powder, add lentils and mix well.
- Add water to it.
- Cover the lid and cook under high pressure for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, let the pressure release naturally.
- Remove the lid and taste the taste of salt. At this time, add lemon juice (if you didn’t add dried mango powder). If you use mango powder, don’t add it.
- If it is as thick as you like, add a little water.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.