This is a Pakistani-style Aloo Jhost recipe with pictures of every step. Aloo Gosht is very popular in Pakistani home cooking and can enhance its image as a national dish. But meat is very expensive, and some poor Pakistanis can only eat it occasionally. This is where the (more economical) dal shawl becomes a better candidate for Pakistan’s national food.
WHAT IS ALOO GOSHT?
Aloo gosht is a classic semi-European meat curry with a thin onion tomato soup with a boney taste, usually beef or lamb/mutton and potatoes.
It is difficult to trace the origin of this dish because it is a very simple dish, and it is certain that it is very popular in Pakistan and the Islamic regions of India (such as Hyderabad and Delhi). You can find more information on Wikipedia.
Aloo gosht is the staple soup of every Pakistani family, and each family has a different version. The ingredients are more or less the same, the real difference lies in the cooking method, time, and temperature. What’s more interesting is that no one has an exact recipe, everyone uses it to cook, “and” this is a visual estimate. So when I cook, it tastes different from my mom’s version, it’s great that it tastes different every time.
INGREDIENTS OF ALOO GOSHT RECIPE
I divided this very good recipe into two versions. A brown onion that is the same as the one I made in this recipe. Paired with fried/brown onions, the taste is obviously better than the following version. Just use a little method to separate the oil.
A simple and relaxed version of the aloo gosht recipe: another way of raw onions, I cut the onions and tomatoes into four pieces, all the other ingredients except potatoes and garnishes. Then I put everything in the pot and simmered until the meat became soft. A large amount of burning should be carried out at a high temperature so that the oil separates from the sides of the pot to obtain a noticeable browning taste. Finally, I add potatoes and some water. When the potato becomes soft, it is ready. I call it the barrier-free version because it has no fine chop, it can be simmered in a pot and requires very little active cooking time. This version is also very suitable for slow cooking.
Another unconventional method is to mix meat sauce in a processor to obtain a smooth texture. If you fry the onions on low heat for 15 minutes, the onions will defrost, without the need to boil the tomato and onion soup in a food processor. Pulses will never give the same result, even if the colors are different. )
HOW TO MAKE ALOO GOSHT RECIPE
- Step 1: The first thing to do when you start cooking is to fry the onions over low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cover the pot and stir regularly. At the same time, wash the meat and make other preparations. Simmering onions for about 15 minutes makes them very soft and easier to dissolve into a smooth broth.
- Step 2: When the onion is very soft, turn the heat to medium and fry until slightly golden.
- Step 3: Now that the obvious sign is that the onion slices are beginning to separate clearly, keep stirring for a few seconds until they are golden brown. Adjust the heat as needed. As shown in step 3, you need a medium golden color. If you burn a few slices of onion, the color and taste of the soup will deteriorate.
- Step 4: In this image, you can see the spices.
- Step 5: Add spices to the fried onions and sauté for 30 seconds. (If you use fried onions, you can crush the crispy onions with your hands and add them with the seasoning. I also mentioned the size of fried onions in the recipe card.)
- Step 6: Turn the lamb over and fry on high heat for 5 minutes until the color changes.
- Step 7: The color has been changed.
- Step 8: Add tomatoes and mix well. Cover the tomatoes and cook until they change color and part of the water is dry.
- Step 9: Add half a cup of warm water. Mix the lid and close tightly. Cook over medium heat until the meat becomes tender. (30-45 minutes depending on meat and height) Add more warm water as needed. You can also use a pressure cooker to speed up the process.
- Step 10: After the meat is cooked. Boil the soup over high heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring often, until the oil separates from the sides of the pot. (applaud)
- Step 11: Now, we will add potatoes and water. Stir well to make sure the potatoes are immersed in the broth. Cover the lid and cook for 10 minutes on medium heat until the potatoes are soft with a fork.
- Step 12: Aloo gosht is ready. Garnish with fresh chopped green coriander leaves and chopped green peppers.